Lander County Advantages
- Transversed by Interstate 80, US 50, NV 305
- Union Pacific Mainline with rail spurs on both North and South lines operated by Union Pacific and BNSF
- Battle Mountain Airport and has two runways, fuel (100LL and Jet A), pilot’s lounge, and hangars
- Austin Airport has two runways, pilot’s lounge, hangars, and fuel
Lander County Quick Facts
- Area: 5,621 sq/miles
- Founded in 1862
- 85% Public Land
- Home to the World Human Powered Speed Challenge
- Considered the Base Camp to Nevada’s Outback
- Battle Mountain was a stop on the first Transcontinental Air Race
A Little About Lander County
Perfectly placed in the center of Nevada’s mining country, Lander County houses nineteen major mines including Nevada Gold Mine’s Phoenix Project & Cortez mine, Hecla, and various barite mines. There are three interchanges on Interstate 80, with major routes between California and Utah, through Northern Lander County. Highway 305 connects Northern Lander to Southern Lander where you will find Highway 50 connecting Reno, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. You will find three airports located in Lander County, Kingston Airport (N15) at the far South, nearby Austin (KTMT), and (KBAM) to the North in Battle Mountain. Both Austin and Battle Mountain’s airports are equipped with two runways, a pilot’s lounge, rental hangars, Jet-A fuel and a courtesy car. Also found in northern Lander County is a west and eastbound Union Pacific rail line passing directly through the center of Battle Mountain.
Large and small business sectors do very well in this one layer county government. Some of the large businesses include mining, transportation, trucking, coal and geothermal plants. Some of our large and small farming operations export high-grade alfalfa throughout the world, and cattle and sheep to American markets. The small private owned businesses make up the heart and soul of our county with many restaurants, specialty shops and museums.
Some of the annual events in Lander County include the Oat Bran Bike Tour and the Lincoln Highway Car show both held in Austin. Battle Mountain holds the World Human Powered Speed Challenge and Chukar Tournament both attracting contestants from around the world. Lander County prides itself on being a small, close knit, stable, debt free county.