Business Start Up Information

Business License and Taxation Requirements

A business license is needed for each person, corporation, partnership, proprietorship, business association and any other similar organization that conducts an activity for profit, including an independent contractor or sole proprietor. A trade show or convention held in this state in which a business previously described takes part, or in which a person who conducts such a business attends, for a purpose related to the conduct of the business also needs a business license. Detailed information on taxation rates may be obtained at the Department of Taxation web page.

Nevada Department of Taxation
1550 College Parkway | Carson City, Nevada 89706 | Phone (775) 684-2000 | Fax (775) 684-2020
Reno, Nevada | Phone (775) 687-9999 | Fax (775) 688-1303
Las Vegas, Nevada | Phone (702) 486-2300 | Fax (702) 486-2373
Henderson, Nevada | Phone (702) 486-2300 | Fax (702) 486-3377

State Business License

All businesses operating in Nevada must obtain a State Business License issued by the Secretary of State’s office. Learn More.

Employer Identification Number

Every partnership or corporation must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use as its taxpayer number. Sole proprietors must also have an EIN if they pay wages to one or more employees or if they are required to file any excise tax returns.

Internal Revenue Service Employer Identification Number
200 S. Virginia Street | Reno, NV 89501 | Phone: 800.829.1040

Business Personal Property Declaration Form

Nevada tax laws require all persons, firms, or businesses owning, renting, leasing, or controlling business personal property to file a Business Personal Property Declaration Form. Please contact your city or county government office for more information.

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

Every business that employs anyone must by law, obtain workers compensation insurance coverage unless that entity is certified by the Commissioner of Insurance as a self-insured employer.

Nevada Division of Industrial Relations
400 W. King St. | Carson City, NV 89703 | Phone: 775.684.7700

Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program

Any business that employs one or more workers is an “employing unit” and must register with the Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program. Registration is made by submitting a Nevada Business Registration Form to the employment security division as soon as workers are hired.

Employment Security Division
500 East Third Street | Carson City, NV 89713 | Phone: 775.684.6300

I-9 Forms for New Employees

Every employer is required, within 72 hours of hiring a new employee, to maintain a completed, signed, witnessed, and dated I-9 Form for each employee.

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services
USCIS Reno Field Office |790 Sandhill Road | Reno, NV 89521 | Phone: 800.375.5283

W-4 Forms

Every employee hired is to complete a W-4 Form so that the employer can withhold the proper amount of income tax from each paycheck. Any change in the employee’s tax status requires a new form.

Internal Revenue Service
200 S. Virginia Street | Reno, NV 89501 | Phone: 800.829.1040

Nevada Labor Statutes

All employers must comply with Nevada’s Labor Statutes and must post a sign explaining these laws at the place of business.
Office of the Labor Commissioner
675 Fairview Drive, Suite 226 | Carson City, NV 89701 | Phone: (775) 687-4850 | Fax: (775) 687-6409


Businesses interested in incorporating, along with non-Nevada businesses seeking permission to do business in Nevada, should register with the Secretary of State’s Office. The Secretary of State’s office handles commercial recordings (incorporation), securities, notaries, and election information.

Secretary of State
Capital Building 101 N. Carson St., Suite 3 | Carson City, NV 89701 | Phone: 775.687.5203 | Fax: 775.687.3471

Zoning Offices

The applicable city or county zoning ordinances should be checked to ensure that the desired location is zoned for the proposed type of business before buying or leasing property. For home-based businesses, please verify if a Home Occupation Permit will be required. Contact your local government office(s), or you may find the applicable zoning office(s) in the limited list above under Local Business License Offices.

Using a Fictitious Name

A fictitious name/dba certificate is required for all businesses that plan to use a name different than their legal or corporate name. It is best to check with the County Clerk’s office where your business is located to determine if the fictitious name desired is available.

Share This